Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Language learnings...

My finger slowly traces the letters in black ink as I haltingly read Matthew 5. I stumble over a word and Edouard patiently corrects me. Heather sits to my left awaiting her turn. The three of us sit around our kitchen table adorned with purple flowers and a pineapple. Language school has arrived!
Salama Tompoko! [Hello!]
Yes, my dear friends, I have started to learn a language called Malagasy. Heather and I study with our tutor, Eduoard, five days a week from 8:30am-12:30pm. We study and put into practice what we’ve learned in the afternoons. We’ve only just started, but I am going to venture to say that Eduoard is going to be a great teacher. He is a believer, starts our daily lessons with prayer, has a fluent grasp of grammar, and smiles a lot. He even gives us high fives when he is especially proud of us. :0)
It has been humbling this past week going back to learning how to read, how to talk, how to cook, how to drive, how to shop, all over again! It has been a fun journey, however, and one I will probably be on for a long time! I got caught dancing in the market (I was oblivious to the fact that I was moving to the music until a round of applause and laughter from a group of ladies brought me back to reality) and told a mother her baby was a cute animal (the English word baby here sounds surprisingly like the Malagasy word for animal, I have since learned!). Fret not. She was not at all mad. The sweet Malagasy very much appreciate the fact that we are trying to learn their language and just laugh at our many mistakes. :) Heather and I have been experimentally cooking. It has been a blast and most of it has (amazingly) turned out to be quite delicious! There are now fresh cookies on the counter and ice cream in the freezer…it’s beginning to feel like home. ;)
I thank God for you all every day! Knowing there are people lifting me up to our Father’s throne constantly is a huge encouragement to me. I made it three hours into language training before I was like, “Are you kidding me? This is going to be really hard! Can I really do this?” And my wonderful Maker spoke gently to my heart with the reminder of “Who made your mouth, Cara?” He will enable me to tell of His glory however He wants to!
Praises – for good health, great language teacher, and the fact that the rest of our luggage is out of customs and made it here to Antsirabe!!!
Prayer requests – for a quick grasp and retention of the language, Heather and my continued transition to life in Madagascar including wisdom and discernment with our interactions with the many beggars here in Antsirabe.
Tia ianareo aho, [I love you all,]
Cara :)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.