Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Belated Mother's Day Special

To start out, this is the best mother ever right here:


I have been praying for a young man I know down here in the rain forest. He claims to follow God, but has been grieving his parents’ hearts because he has not been living like a follower of God should. Arriving at their house one day, I saw him and gasped.

Face covered in wounds, shoulder looking very much like Wesley’s in The Princess Bride after being attacked by an R.O.U.S., the young man looks at me. “I got in an accident.” Leaning over too far on one of the curvy roads here, his motorcycle went crashing to the ground. It was a miracle he was not hurt worse. “I am so sorry this happened to you!” I exclaimed, while asking him all about his injuries. “It’s really a good thing,” the young man replied. “Lying in the road flat on my back, I rededicated my life to God. I’ve quit smoking, quit drinking, and I am going to live for God.”

His mom ran out and wrapped me in a huge hug. “Isn’t it wonderful?” She asked. “Now I know that all of my children are going to heaven.” One week to the day before the accident, his mother had been praying for him. She read this passage from Hebrews 12:

“For whom the LORD loves He chastens, and scourges every son whom He receives. If you endure chastening, God deals with you as with sons, for what son is there whom a father does not chasten?...For [our human fathers] indeed for a few days chastened us as seemed best to them, but [God] for our profit, that we may be partakers of His holiness. Now no chastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.”

“Lord, my son says he is your follower, but here he is doing all of these things not fitting. If he is really your son, then please discipline him like You say you will in order to bring back him to you.” Looking at his face today she cannot help but think that she is in some way responsible. “I prayed for it and it happened.” She looks up at my face (because I am a foot taller than everyone here :P) guiltily.

“This physical pain that your son is in is temporary, but spiritual change lasts forever,” I say. “You are a great mom to pray for your child’s relationship with God.” She grins, grabs my hands, and we jump around like schoolgirls, praising God for His love that brings us to repentance.

Mothers, pray for your children. For all of us, PRAISE THE LORD! He has provided a Way for us to become His beloved children! “But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name” (John 1:12).

Please pray for us as we head out to the village of Foibe this Wednesday, May 18th, with a volunteer team from the states. We will be helping by building a much-needed school for the children and sharing life with the villagers. Take some time today to share with people you meet of the love which your Father has given you!

2 comments:

Kathryn Taylor said...

I love this post, but especially the fact that you mentioned R.O.U.S's.

You crack me up!

Faith My Eyes said...

Yes, R.O.U.S.s should be avoided at all costs (unless the Lord is disciplining you!). Great story, Cara!