Wednesday, June 9, 2010

40/40 Take Two: Village Life


MAY
4 – Traveled by bus to the village of Petauke. I remember only about 30 minutes of the 6 hour drive because I took the recommended preventative Dramamine which knocks me out for a good 8 hours! The part I DO recall was a police check point. They boarded the bus asking to see our passports. Groggily digging in my purse, I presented it to them and heard them ask, “Where are you going?” To which my mind (struggling to stay awake, mind you) and voice replied, “Madagascar!” Cocking their heads quizzically to the side, my more-alert companions assured them that we were indeed headed to Petauke. :P Let’s just say that if I ever need my brain I’m gonna have to lay off the Dramamine! :0)

5 – General training at camp regarding logistics (how to shower with a bucket, pee in a hole, etc) and lectures about rural vs. urban communities, oral cultures, etc.

6 – DFA: Meet government officials/leadership - Lauren, Heather, and I got to go to the Ministry of Health department and tour the local hospital. No surprise c-sections this time, but fun nonetheless!

7 – DFA: Men met with chief, ladies with the chief’s wife and District Commissioner’s wife. Let’s just say that no-bake cookies made their appearance…

8 – DFA: Medicine and the Spirit World – the rural version and digging deeper. Africans in general do not share all their knowledge as we Americans tend to. Knowledge is a form of power, so there needs to be a layer of trust before you get the more real answers.

9 – DFA: Church of another denomination. My group went to the local Anglican church and learned how to kneel, sit, stand, kneel, sit, stand (repeat ad-nauseum or until you have to bite your tongue you are laughing so hard :).

10 – DFA: Life cycle – childhood, youth, adulthood.

11 – DFA: Sharing your story.

12 – DFA: Community Development and Disaster relief. Helpful practice mostly for how to assess situations and how we can get Baptist Global Response’s assistance in a time of need.

On a side note, it was great living in a tent with Heather and Lauren this whole time, spending peaceful nights star-gazing and conversing around the campfire with friends old and new. For me it was a sweet time of resting in my Lord.

“Return to your rest, o my soul, for the LORD has dealt bountifully with you.”
Psalm 116:7

“Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” Matthew 11:29

“And He said to them, Come aside by yourselves to a deserted place and rest a while…” Mark 6:31

1 comment:

Mrs. M said...

Sounds awesome :o) And now you are so prepared for this journey, right? Right?