Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Shakespeare I am Not

I’m not eloquent.  I’m pretty good at knowing what I’m feeling / thinking, but the art of expressing it well verbally often alludes me.  Oh to be able to comprehend and aptly share “what is the width and length and depth and height – to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge” (Eph. 3:18-19).

This is one reason I love hymns.  Sometimes they capture what I want to say so well!  How eloquently they speak of the love of my LORD – you can almost feel the engulfing waters singing the words of Trevor Francis:

Oh the deep, deep love of Jesus, vast, unmeasured, boundless, free!
Rolling as a mighty ocean in its fullness over me!
Underneath me, all around me, is the current of Thy love
Leading onward, leading homeward to Thy glorious rest above!
O the deep, deep love of Jesus, love of every love the best!
Tis an ocean full of blessing, ’tis a haven giving rest!

When I am tempted to feel inadequate, for instance when heading to Jordan knowing only 6 words of Arabic, hoping to somehow bring glory to God in the mere few weeks I am there, what encouraging reminders from Come Ye, Sinners:

Lo! th’incarnate God ascended, pleads the merit of His blood:
Venture on Him, venture wholly, let no other trust intrude.
Let not conscience make you linger, not of fitness fondly dream;
All the fitness He requireth is to feel your need of Him.
I will arise and go to Jesus, He will embrace me in His arms;
In the arms of my dear Savior, O there are ten thousand charms.

It is not my strength that brings Him glory but His strength in even my own weakness (2 Cor 12:9)!  No, I should not lean on my overseas experience or nursing skills or generally cheery disposition, but only on my beloved Saviour, who someday I shall see face to face and, while I will probably first fall prostrate before Him, you better believe I will eventually end up in His arms! :)


How firm a foundation, ye saints of the Lord,
Is laid for your faith in His excellent Word!
What more can He say than to you He hath said
Who unto the Savior for refuge have fled?

Yes, He Himself is sufficient and has given me everything that I need to obey and love Him wherever in this world I am.  How I look forward to seeing what He has in store especially in these next few months!

Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.  (Eph. 3:20-21)  Praise be to His name.

1 comment:

Jeni said...

I love reading your blog!